The form below will assist you in submitting a letter to the editor. Our Letters Policy explains the Catholic Courier's philosophy about publishing letters, and is supplemented by the following guidelines:
- If you would like to respond to an article or news event, please do so right away. Since we normally have a letters backlog, a delay in sending your letter can mean your topic will lose its timeliness before we have a chance to publish it.
- Please avoid long quotations; instead, tell readers where to find quotations of interest.
- We reserve the right to decide whether to publish a given letter in print and online, in print only, online only or not at all.
- We do not publish letters that also have been sent to other publications.
- We do not publish "open letters" -- messages directed at officials but sent to newspapers for publication. Please address your comments to the Courier's editor and readers.
- Except in very rare and specific circumstances, we do not publish poetry.
- To avoid confusing our readers, we do not publish letters that primarily respond to reporting in other media.
The Catholic Courier wishes to provide space for readers throughout the diocese to express opinions on all sides of the issue. We welcome original, signed letters about current issues affecting church life.
Although we cannot publish every letter we receive, we seek, insofar as possible, to provide a balanced representation of expressed opinions and a variety of reflections on life in the church. We will choose letters for publication based on likely reader interest, timeliness and a sense of fair play. Our discerning readers may determine whether to agree or disagree with the letter writers' opinions.
Letters must not exceed 250 words. Anonymous letters and the use of pseudonyms are unacceptable. We reserve the right to edit letters for length, legal and other concerns. With respect to errors in submitted text, we will correct spelling only.
For verification purposes, please include your full name, phone number and complete address with your submission. Our mailing address is Catholic Courier, P.O. Box 24379, Rochester, NY 14624-0379. Letters also may be e-mailed to email@example.com.