Activities celebrate Fatima anniversary
CNS photo by Paulo Cunha
Parishes throughout the Diocese of Rochester have planned a number of events to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Marian apparitions at Fatima. These apparitions began May 13, 1917, and continued to occur once a month until Oct. 13, 1917. Two of the three children who witnessed the apparitions will be canonized by Pope Francis on May 13 during his visit to the site of the apparitions.
The following are some events being held around the diocese in celebration of the anniversary:
* St. Monica Church in Rochester will host a procession May 13 through the 19th Ward neighborhood. The event will begin with Mass at 4 pm, followed by a procession through the streets at 4:45pm. Participants will pray the rosary, sing and honor the Mother of God with a monstrance containing Jesus in his sacramental presence. Children will dress as the Fatima children and angels.
* St. Thomas the Apostle Church’s Latin Mass Community, Irondequoit, will present a six-part series, “Devotion to Our Lady of Fatima,” every second Sunday at 4 p.m. from May to October. The series will feature an inspirational talk, rosary and Benediction with Gregorian Schola and the Children’s Choir. For more information, call 585-342-2478 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Ss. Mary and Martha Parish in Auburn has invited parishioners and the public to gather near the parish’s shrine of Our Lady of Fatima at noon on May 13. Those gathered will pray the rosary together. The shrine is in front of the St. Hyacinth Center, which is located at 63 Pulaski St., Auburn.
* St. Patrick Parish in Victor will provide flowers to children who attend Mass there during the weekend of May 13-14, and the children will present those flowers to the Blessed Mother as a special offering. Parishioners of all ages are invited to bring their own flowers to church to participate in the offering as well.
* Catholics in Geneva will gather in Bicentennial Park at noon on May 13 to pray the rosary together and sing Marian hymns as well as patriotic songs. Bicentennial Park is located on Exchange Street between Canal and Lake streets.
* Christ the Redeemer Parish, Elmira, will host a dish-to-pass dinner and movie about the miracle of Fatima May 13. This event will take place after the 4:30 Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes Church.
* A living rosary will take place May 11 at 6:30 p.m. (assemble at 6:15) at St. Mary Church, Elmira. All are invited and a reception will follow.
* The public is invited to join in a Public Square Rosary Crusade being held monthly in Greece beginning May 13. Participants will gather at the southwest corner of Latta and Long Pond roads (near Wegmans). Included with rosary recitation will be commemoration of the apparitions of the Blessed Mother at Fatima. Dates and times for the prayer gatherings are as follows: May 13, noon; June 13, 6 p.m.; July 13, 6 p.m.; Aug. 13, noon; Sept. 13, 6 p.m.; and Oct. 14, National Public Square Rosary Day, noon. For details, contact Nancy Weiland at 585-392-8037.
* Father Scott Caton will celebrate a special Mass May 13 at 8:30 a.m. at St. Lawrence Church, Greece.
* St. John the Evangelist Church, Greece, will offer a Marian Mass May 13 at 8:15 a.m. All are welcome.
* A rededication of the Marian grotto at St. Patrick Church, Owego, will take place after Masses May 13-14.
* May crownings will be held at all three churches of a Tompkins County cluster in conjunction with their weekend Masses: St. Anthony in Groton, on May 13; Holy Cross, Dryden, on May 14; and All Saints, Lansing, on May 14 and led by children who received first Communion this year.
* Immaculate Conception Church, Ithaca, will host a rosary May 13 at noon on the church’s front steps.
* The rosary will be prayed 15 minutes before each Mass May 13-14 at Mary, Mother of Mercy Parish in Interlaken, Ovid and Trumansburg.