Agencies offer aid for people with addictions
The following agencies offer programs for people struggling with addiction. Many of their websites offer information on local, telephone and online meetings.
* Matt Talbot Ministries in Rochester is a spiritually based reconciliation service for people affected by a variety of addictions and compulsive behaviors. Call 585-442-1204 or visit www.matttalbotministries.com.
* Catholic Family Center in Rochester has several programs to assist with substance abuse. Call 585-546-7220 or visit www.cfcrochester.org.
* Mercycare Addiction Treatment Center (MATCH) is a facility of St. James Mercy Hospital in Hornell. Call 607-324-6925 or visit www.stjamesmercy.org.
* Southern Tier Addiction Rehabilitation Services (STARS) is located at St. Joseph's Hospital, Elmira. Call 607-733-6541 or visit www.stjosephs.org.
* Alcoholics Anonymous is listed in the white pages of local directories. You also can visit www.aa.org.
* Overeaters Anonymous can be accessed at www.oa.org. The organization's Rochester phone number is 585-234-5435.
* Gamblers Anonymous has a website at www.gamblersanonymous.org. In addition, The National Council on Problem Gambling offers a website at www.ncpgambling.org and a national hotline at 1-800-522-4700.
* Sexaholics Anonymous can be accessed at www.sa.org. Its Rochester phone number is 585-234-0359.
There also are several websites and online forums, not listed here, for people grappling with addiction in such areas as spending, theft, hoarding, nicotine, online video gaming, computer usage and workaholism.