This is the recipe for Arroz con Dulce (Rice Pudding):
1 1/2 cups rice — medium or short grain
4 1/4 cups coconut milk (14 oz cans)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1 in. pieces fresh ginger, peeled
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup coconut milk (reserve to use at the end)
1. Wash rice and soak in water to cover, generously, for 2 hours. The rice will soak up the water so use plenty.
2. About 20 minutes before rice is finished soaking, combine the 4 1/2 cups of coconut milk, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg in a medium size caldero (or Dutch oven).
3. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to moderate, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
4. Drain rice thoroughly and add to caldero. Mix and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook until rice is completely dry, without stirring.
5. Add the sugar, coconut flakes and raisins, stir, and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 15 minutes, without stirring.
6. Add reserved 3/4 coconut milk and stir. Turn heat to moderate and boil for about 20-25 minutes, or until rice dries again. In this cooking period, turn rice over occassionally and scrape bottom of caldero.
7. Remove spices. Spoon rice into a flat serving platter. Allow to cool at room temperature.
8. Refrigerate and serve cold.