An exhibit on Bishop Bernard J. McQuaid, who served as the Diocese of Rochester’s first bishop from 1868 to 1909, is on display in Sacred Heart Cathedral’s narthex through Feb. 24.
The materials in the exhibit include Bishop McQuaid’s chalice and paten; the 1868 charter from Pope Pius IX creating the Diocese of Rochester; the brass top to Bishop McQuaid’ crosier, or his pastoral staff; personal items including his shoes and opera glasses; the crucifix Bishop McQuaid held on his death bed; the eulogy and photographs from his funeral Mass at the former St. Patrick’s Cathedral; and his miter, which is the tall, pointed ceremonial cap worn by bishops.
The exhibit opened Jan. 18 on the 100th anniversary of Bishop McQuaid’s death.
Orphaned at age 10, Bishop McQuaid founded and served as president of Seton Hall College and vicar general of the Diocese of Newark before he was named Bishop of Rochester. Among his accomplishments, Bishop McQuaid was a strong supporter of Catholic schools and founded Rochester’s St. Andrew’s Preparatory Seminary in 1870 and St. Bernard’s Seminary in 1891.