Catholic Charities schedules two events - Catholic Courier

Catholic Charities schedules two events

Ever wonder where your donation to the Catholic Campaign for Human Development ended up? If you’re a Southern Tier resident, the beneficiaries may be right around the corner.

According to Kathleen Dubel, justice-and-peace coordinator for Catholic Charities of Chemung County, past CCHD seed grants have funded such Tier organizations as the Chemung County Labor-Religion Coalition and Elmira Area Unemployment Council, as well as initiatives involving community gardens, displaced homemakers, veterans’ outreach, a food co-op and advocacy for the disabled.

CCHD funds are raised through an annual collection in parishes across the country, with 25 percent of diocesan proceeds going toward local seed grants and the other 75 percent going into a national pool. Dubel noted that an area youth-empowerment project is currently funded by a CCHD seed grant, and the Workers’ and Immigrants’ Rights Center of the Tompkins County Living Wage Coalition benefits from a national grant.

You can learn more about CCHD on Friday, May 30, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Catholic Charities office, 215 E. Church St., Elmira. The gathering will address criteria, application requirements and due dates for local and national grants. Also included will be an overview of CCHD, which was founded in 1969 by the United States bishops to address domestic poverty. Lunch will be provided. There is no fee, but registration is required by May 28.

"CCHD seeks to fund self-help groups working to address poverty and powerlessness. These groups must be led by poor and low-income persons who have identified their issues and will decide what solutions will bring about positive social change in their communities. We encourage groups working on environmental-justice issues, decent and affordable housing, living/just wage issues, and access to health coverage to consider applying for CCHD funding," Dubel said, adding that other types of initiatives also are considered provided they conform to the Catholic Church’s moral teachings.

The May 30 program is one of two Catholic Charities-sponsored events coming up in the Tier. The other will take place Monday, June 9, when the annual Parish Social Ministry and Works of Love Recognition Dinner is held from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Hill Top Inn, Jerusalem Hill, Elmira. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Aileen A. O’Donoghue, a noted author and astronomer who serves as Henry Priest associate professor of physics at St. Lawrence University. Reservation deadline is June 4.

Reservations for either event may be made by contacting Dubel at 607-734-9784, ext. 135, or

Copyright © 2024 Rochester Catholic Press Association, Inc. All rights reserved. Linking is encouraged, but republishing or redistributing, including by framing or similar means, without the publisher's prior written permission is prohibited.

Choose from news (Monday), leisure (Thursday) or worship (Saturday) — or get all three!

No, Thanks

Catholic Courier Newsletters