The Courier has been notified of several events in the diocese taking place on or around Thursday, Sept. 11 to commemorate the seventh anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania.
- A firefighters’ memorial Mass will take place Sept. 11 at Rochester’s Sacred Heart Cathedral. Fire safety personnel from across Monroe County will gather in front of the cathedral at 6:45 p.m. for a procession preceding the Mass.
- An evening prayer service honoring those who died in the attacks, as well as people who provide ongoing service in public safety, is set for Sept. 11 at St. Mary Church, Canandaigua, beginning at 6 p.m. It will be followed by a “silent parade” sponsored by the City of Canandaigua. The parade will end with a candlelight vigil at the American Legion hall.
- A remembrance ceremony will take place Sept. 11 at Avon’s St. Agnes School. Beginning just before 9:30 a.m., it will involve the student body and staff as well as several public officials.
- Greece’s St. Lawrence School has set a candle-lighting service for Sept. 11 at 1:15 p.m. It will be led by the school’s sixth-grade students and take place inside St. Lawrence Church.
- The Secular Franciscans’ St. Pius X fraternity has scheduled a Mass for Peace on Saturday, Sept. 13, at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Painted Post. It will begin at 9 a.m.