Peter Kimeu, who has worked for more than three decades as a staff member with Catholic Relief Services in Africa, will appear March 3-6 at several venues in the Diocese of Rochester.
Kimeu serves as CRS’ regional technical adviser for Partnership, Solidarity and Justice in East Africa. His talks will be on the theme of "Working for Peace and Justice in Africa." The following presentations are open to the public:
* March 3-4 — Weekend masses at Our Lady of the Valley Parish (St. Ann Church, 27 Erie Ave., Hornell; and St. Mary Church, Church Street, Rexville.)
* March 4 — All Saints Church, 347 Ridge Road, Lansing, 7 p.m.
* March 5 — St. Patrick Church, 300 Main St., Owego, noon. This will consist of prayer, soup and a presentation by Kimeu.
* March 5 — Catholic Charities, 215 E. Church St., Elmira, 6 to 7:30 p.m. A soup supper, including a Kenyan dish, will be served at 6 p.m. with Kimeu’s presentation beginning at 6:30. Register by March 2 by calling Catholic Charities at 607-734-9784, ext. 2135.
* March 6 — Pastoral Center (McQuaid Room), 1150 Buffalo Road, Rochester, 6 to 7:30 p.m. A soup supper will take place at 6 p.m., followed by Kimeu’s presentation at 6:30 and prayer at 7:15. Register by March 2 by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Brigit Hurley at 585-546-7220, ext. 7099.
In addition to his public appearances, Kimeu is set to speak March 5 at Holy Family Middle School in Elmira and March 6 at Nazareth College and Our Lady of Mercy High School in Rochester.
Over the years Kimeu has led efforts to address East Africa’s famine response and food-security issues. He has represented CRS in such areas as health and development programs, emergencies, community participation and project development. Through his talks in this diocese, Kimeu hopes to raise awareness about hunger, relief and development. He also will thank area Catholics for their support of Operation Rice Bowl, the Lenten CRS project that helps fund many of the initiatives in which he’s involved.
Kimeu’s appearances will be followed in the spring by a visit to the Rochester Diocese from Joan Rosenhauer, CRS’ executive vice president for U.S. operations. She will speak at St. Bernard’s School of Theology and Ministry in Pittsford on Thursday, May 10, at 7 p.m.