With the exception of some changes involving the Tompkins Planning Group, parish leadership in the Southern Tier remains largely unchanged for the new diocesan year that began at the end of June.
Father Scott Kubinski, pastor of the newly formed cluster of All Saints, Lansing; Holy Cross, Dryden; and St. Anthony, Groton, has the only new pastorate in the Tier. He had served those three parishes in a parochial-administrator capacity this past year while also serving as part-time chaplain at Ithaca College.
Father Mike Mahler continues in his pastorate at Ithaca’s St. Catherine of Siena after having been on sabbatical from January to June 2005. He has also been assigned the part-time chaplaincy at Ithaca College.
Father Leo Reinhardt, pastor of Ithaca’s Immaculate Conception, has gone on sabbatical until Oct. 31. The temporary pastoral administrator during that time is Sister Edna Slyck, RSM, and sacramental coverage during that time is being provided by Father Peter Abue, an extern priest from Nigeria.
At Cornell University, Father Daniel McMullin has been appointed full-time director of Cornell Catholic Community. He comes to the position from St. Mary’s Parish in Geneseo, where he was pastor; and SUNY College at Geneseo, where he was part-time sacramental minister.
Two other developments with Southern Tier pastoral leadership involve Elmira parishes. At Our Lady of Lourdes, Father Jeremiah Moynihan has gone on sabbatical until Dec. 31. Serving as parochial administrator is Father Symon Peter Ntaiyia, an extern priest from Kenya. At Ss. Peter and Paul Parish, Father Walter Wainwright is extending his role as parochial administrator that began in January 2005 when the previous pastor, Father Patrick Connor, left that position. Father Wainwright also serves as pastor of St. Anthony/St. Patrick.
Others continuing their positions as pastors and administrators are:
* Father Paul Bonacci, pastor, St. Mary of the Lake, Watkins Glen/St. Benedict, Odessa.
* Sister Joan Cawley, SSJ, pastoral administrator, All Saints, Corning/Painted Post.
* Deacon Raymond Defendorf, pastoral administrator, St. Mary, Bath.
* Father Eugene Dobosz, parochial administrator, St. Casimir/St. Charles Borromeo, Elmira.
* Father Rick Farrell, pastor, St. Mary, Elmira.
* Father Christopher Linsler, pastor, St. Mary Our Mother, Horseheads.
* Sister Anne Michelle McGill, SSJ, pastoral administrator, St. Gabriel, Hammondsport.
* Father William Moorby, pastor, Blessed Trinity/St. Patrick, Tioga County.
* Father Gerald O’Connor, pastor, St. Catherine of Siena, Addison; St. Stanislaus, Bradford; St. Joseph, Campbell.
* Capuchin Father Eugene O’Hara, pastor, St. James, Trumansburg.
* Father Michael Schramel, pastor, Holy Family, northern Steuben/southern Livingston.
* Father Patrick Van Durme, pastor, Our Lady of the Valley, western Steuben.