To the editor:
In the October 2005 Issue, Father McBrien made his Liberal policies known with respect to responses to Katrina.
As usual, he blames President Bush’s tax policies and his alleged lack of concern for the poor and underprivileged.
The truth is that Democratic Party Liberals have been running both Louisiana and New Orleans for several decades. This should have provided a Paradise on Earth!
Their failure to provide good jobs, emergency planning, safe streets, good governments, etc., is, instead, an indictment of both their philosophy and their competency.
* The dysfunctional Governor and Mayor are so afraid they will make false moves that they do nothing.
* Neither responded to President Bush’s call for emergency action, so 500 local buses were not used for an evacuation, but were ruined by flood waters.
* The people of New Orleans are now acknowledged to be mostly uneducated, poverty-stricken, stuck with low-end low-paying jobs, bad medical care and bad schools, and a police force alleged to be racist and incompetent.
* Millions of Federal dollars intended for flood-control were used for marinas, gambling casinos and other pet projects.
* Emergency planning funds were spent but there is no plan. Fraud is alleged.
Liberal policies at work!
All honest commentators now admit that Welfare Reform — requiring recipients to get training and a job and encouraging families to stay together — works much better than the old Welfare — encouraging recipients to stay on welfare for generations and tending to break up families.
A Hand-Out is not as good as a Hand-Up!
The problem was not a lack of money — it was a lack of Attitude. The Attitude that you must take care of yourself and not always lean on others.
Even Father McBrien might agree that there is nothing in “Catholic social teachings” about clinging to failed policies.
Silver Birch Circle