The month of October is a period traditionally dedicated to Respect Life initiatives as well as devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the Southern Tier has no shortage of events planned.
Information listed below was provided to the Catholic Courier via parish bulletins:
* The United for Life group at Schuyler Catholic Community is passing out roses on Respect Life Weekend, Oct. 6-7. Then, on Oct. 25, United for Life will combine with Catholic Daughters of America to host a Living Rosary at 7 p.m. at St. Benedict’s Church in Odessa. According to a bulletin notice, the Living Rosary will be said for “the intention that hearts and minds will be converted to end abortion and to have a greater respect for all life” as well as peace in the world. In addition, rosary recitation is taking place each Thursday of the month at St. Benedict’s beginning at 7 p.m. The rosaries are led by Catholic Daughters of America members. CDA also held a rosary on Oct. 2 at St. Mary of the Lake Church in Watkins Glen, which with St. Benedict forms the Schuyler cluster.
* Life Chains are taking place the afternoon of Sunday, Oct. 7. The chains will congregate from 2 to 3 p.m. at the following Southern Tier locations: West Church at Walnut streets, Elmira; Grand Central Avenue at 14th Street, Elmira Heights; Route 414 at Chambers Road, Beaver Dams; and Route 54, on a 12-mile stretch from Bath to Hammondsport. Patricia Beemer, a member of Elmira’s Blessed Sacrament Parish and organizer of all four local Life Chains, noted that participants do not have to register, but can simply show up at one of the designated sites to take part in this nationwide peaceful prayer demonstration to end abortion.
* Also on Oct. 7, a holy hour dedicated to life issues through the intercession of Our Lady of the Rosary will take place at 3 p.m. at St. Mary’s Church in Corning. The hour will feature a Divine Mercy chaplet, rosary and quiet adoration.
* A Living Rosary, sponsored by the St. James Altar and Rosary Society, is set for Wednesday, Oct. 10, at 6:30 p.m. at St. James Church in Waverly. Father John DeSocio, parochial vicar for Blessed Trinity/St. Patrick parishes in the Tioga County area, will lead the rosary and make a small presentation after the service. Refreshments will be served, and all are invited.
* A prayer vigil for life will be held Saturday, Oct. 13, at 9 a.m. at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Painted Post near the church’s Memorial for the Unborn. In case of inclement weather, the vigil will take place in the church. The event is sponsored by the St. Pius X Secular Franciscan Fraternity. “All are welcome to attend and highly encouraged to join us and other area life-issues promoters, to pray that the gospel of life replace the culture of death,” the bulletin stated.