The Feb. 3 announcement of a merger between the Nazareth Schools and Aquinas Institute is not the first collaboration between the schools, which are blocks from each other in the Maplewood area of Rochester.
The connection dates back to 1912, when Aquinas Institute’s precursor, Cathedral High School, became coeducational and had 23 women in its Class of 1912.
The school was renamed Rochester Catholic High School in 1914, and the Rochester Catholic women transferred to Nazareth Academy in 1917 as the future Aquinas Institute reverted to a single-sex school. Aquinas became coeducational in 1982 upon the closing of the all-girls St. Agnes High School.
Additionally, Aquinas President Michael R. Daley noted that the Sisters of St. Joseph, who operate the Nazareth Schools, were part of the original Aquinas faculty until 1959.