Parishioners of St. Mary of the Lake Parish in Ontario plan to celebrate the 40th anniversary of their church building Sept. 16-17 with a Mass with Bishop Matthew H. Clark and two open houses.
St. Mary of the Lake Parish was founded in 1869, and the parish’s first white, clapboard church was erected in 1870. The current church building was built in 1966.
The anniversary events will kick off with a Gold and Silver Brunch Sept. 16 at 10:30 a.m. in the parish center. This free event is for senior citizens 55 and older, and anyone interested must sign up by calling the parish office by Sept. 10.
There will be an open house Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. in the parish center, where hors d’oeuvres will be served. Bishop Clark will celebrate Mass in the church Sept. 17 at 11:15 a.m., and Mass will be immediately followed by an open house with punch and cookies in the parish center.
Current and former parishioners are encouraged to attend any of the events.
For more information or to sign up for the Gold and Silver Brunch, call the parish office at 315/524-2611.