Auburn’s St. Francis of Assisi Parish recently honored its fourth pastor by naming its parish hall after him.
After the 10 a.m. Mass on May 15, the hall was renamed The Rev. John J. Nacca Parish Center. Father Nacca, who turned 90 that day, served as pastor of the parish for more than three decades.
Father Nacca was ordained June 7, 1941, by Bishop James E. Kearney and was then named assistant pastor at St. Francis, where he served until 1944. In 1949, he returned to the parish, this time as pastor. He retired from his pastorate in 1985.
During his time as pastor Father Nacca oversaw the building of a new parish school, church building and shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes. Under his guidance, the parish established six mission churches in Africa, South Vietnam and India, according to a biography published by the parish at the time of his retirement. He also taught first- through 12th-grade religion classes at the parish. During his pastorate, Father Nacca celebrated at least 1,510 baptisms and 641 marriages, according to the biography.
Father Nacca currently resides at St. Ann’s Community in Rochester.