Parishes and schools throughout the Diocese of Rochester are using Lent to evangelize and educate members. The following is a sampling of activities taking place.
* The Catholic Webster Youth Committee of St. Rita, St. Paul, Holy Spirit and Holy Trinity parishes will hold a Youth Rally from 1-9 p.m. on March 4 at Holy Trinity Church, 1460 Ridge Road, Webster. 585/671-2100, ext. 24.
* Church of the Transfiguration, 50 W. Bloomfield Road, Pittsford, is holding Taize prayer services at 7 p.m. on March 6, 13, 20, 27 and April 3. Taize uses songs, chants and periods of meditative silence. 585/248-2427.
* The Northwest Ontario County Parishes will hold joint Stations of the Cross each Friday. The evening will begin with a soup supper at 6 p.m., followed by the stations at 7 p.m. The stations will take place at St. Bridget/St. Joseph, 15 Church St., East Bloomfield, on March 3; St. Mary, 95 N. Main St., Canandaigua, March 10; St. Dominic, 99 W. Main St., Shortsville, March 24; St. Francis, 12 Church St., Phelps, March 31; and St. Patrick, 115 Maple Ave., Victor, April 7.
* St. Mary of the Lake Church, 5823 Walworth Road, Ontario, will hold an Evening Prayer and Presentation on March 5, 12, 19, 26 and April 2 and 9 at 5 p.m. Speakers will touch on such topics as the church’s mission of evangelization, as well as nonviolence and forgiveness. 315/524-2611.
* St. Joseph Church, 6105 Rush-Lima Road, Rush, will host soup suppers with speakers at 5:45 p.m. Wednesdays. Stations of the Cross will be held at 7 p.m. each Friday. 585/533-1719.
* Church of the Resurrection, 63 Mason Road, Fairport, will host two presentations during Lent as part of its “Second Look” series. The first, titled “Second Look at the Paschal Mystery,” is slated for March 8 from 7-8:45 p.m. The second, titled “Second Look at Prayer,” will take place April 5 from 7-8:45 p.m. Both presentations are in Emmaus Hall. 585/223-5500.
* Religious-education students and parishioners at St. Anthony Church, Groton, will participate in Operation Rice Bowl, which raises money for anti-hunger efforts abroad and in the diocese.
* Dr. Dennis Boike will present a series on “Marriage Enhancement” from 7-8:30 p.m. on March 6, 13, 20, 27 and April 3 at Church of the Assumption, 50 East. Ave., Fairport. 585/388-0040.
* St. Vincent DePaul Church, 11 N. Main St., Churchville, will host a prayer, fasting and almsgiving series on March 6, 13, 20, 27 and April 3 at 6 p.m. The evening begins with a soup supper, followed by a collection of donations for Operation Rice Bowl. Participants sing an evening prayer at 7 p.m. and then hear a guest speaker at 7:30 p.m. Topics will include the spirituality of younger adults and life-and-death issues. 585/293-1400.
* Parishioners at Our Mother of Sorrows, Greece, will make rosaries for soldiers from the parish, as well as for RosaryArmy.com, an organization that gives rosaries to anyone who wants them.
* St. Helen Church, 310 Hinchey Road, Gates, will host a retreat on March 6, 13, 20 and 27 at 7 p.m.; a reconciliation service on April 3 at 7 p.m.; and a Mass for Healing on April 10 at 7 p.m. 585/235-1210.
* The Rochester City East Parishes of Annunciation, St. Andrew, St. George and St. Stanislaus will present the series “Walking with Jesus.” St. Stanislaus, 1124 Hudson Ave., will host adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and a reflection on March 22 from 11 a.m. to noon. St. Andrew School, 901 Portland Ave., will host a soup supper and presentation on the church’s social encyclicals March 29 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Make reservations by calling 585/342-8686 by March 20, and bring your own soup bowl. St. George, 545 Hudson Ave., will host a Stations of the Cross, a soup supper and a presentation on Our Lady of Siluva from 4-6 p.m. April 5.
* St. Michael Church, corner of Phelps and Holley streets in Lyons, will host a Stations of the Cross for Children on March 4 at 3:30 p.m. St. John the Evangelist Church, 114 Sodus St., Clyde, will host “Praying the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosaries” on March 26 at 1 p.m. For both events, call 315/923-3941.
* Liturgist and sacramental instructor Joan Workmaster will host sessions at St. Cecilia Church, 2732 Culver Road, Irondequoit, at 6:45 p.m. on March 2 and 16. Father Robert Kennedy will lead a retreat on “Liturgy — A School for Prayer” at St. Cecilia’s March 26-28 at 7 p.m, as well as after 9 a.m. Mass March 27 and 28. 585/467-4286, ext. 104.
* On March 7, 14 and 21, All Saints Parish, Corning, will host evenings of music, presentations and prayer at St. Vincent De Paul, 222 Dodge Ave. Each session begins at 7 p.m., and topics include prayer, fasting, almsgiving and sacrifice. 607/936-4689.
* St. Anne Church, 1600 Mt. Hope Ave., Rochester, in conjunction with Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Brighton, will host a series of soup suppers, presentations and prayers on March 8, 15, 22, 29 and April 5. Each supper begins at 5:30 p.m., and topics covered include annulments, migrant ministry and various outreach efforts in the diocese. A video Bible study will follow from 7-8 p.m. 585/271-3260, ext. 101.
* The Rochester churches of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 1089 Joseph Ave., and St. Michael, 869 N. Clinton Ave., will host soup suppers, as well as speakers in English and Spanish. The presentations will take place from 6-7:30 p.m. on March 2, 9 and 16 at Perpetual Help and March 23, 30 and April 6 at St. Michael. 585/325-4040.
* Father Leo J. Reinhardt, pastor of Immaculate Conception Church, 113 N. Geneva St., Ithaca, will host presentations on “Reflective Living” at 7 p.m. on March 16 and 23. The parish also will host a reconciliation service, with the opportunity for individual confession, on March 25 at 1 p.m., as well as a Youth Living Stations of the Cross on April 14 at 7 p.m. 607/273-6121.
* Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, 152 Main St., Brockport, is hosting the Northwest Regional Retreat for 2006. Father Steve Vasek, OMI, and Sister Jean Fitzpatrick, SSC, will lead the retreat from 7-8:15 p.m. March 26-29. The retreat will focus on inner spiritual healing and renewal, and how we can reach out to those who have drifted away from attending Mass. Baby-sitting is provided, while a special component for children in grades kindergarten through sixth will be offered. 585/637-4500.
* The Rochester churches of St. Monica, 831 Genesee St., and Ss. Peter and Paul, 720 W. Main St., are offering a series of soup suppers and presentations on the church’s teachings and ministry on March 9, 16 and 23. The offerings will be held in St. Monica School’s gym and will follow the 5:30 p.m. Mass. Ss. Peter and Paul will offer tours of its historic church from 1-3 p.m. on March 26 and April 9. 585/436-1100.
* St. Joseph’s Church, 43 Gebhardt Road, Penfield, will host an Ash Wednesday Soup Supper at 6:30 p.m. March 1; a Community Service Fair, focused on families living in poverty in Rochester, on March 14 at 6:45 p.m.; and a Palm Sunday Reflection at 3 p.m. April 9. 585/586-8089.