Here’s the recipe for pasta fagioli:
1 chopped onion
1/3 can tomato paste
4-6 cloves garlic slices 1/8″ thick
1/4 – 1/2 cup white wine
1 quart chicken broth
1 quart water
2 cups dry cheese tortellini
2 15 ounce cans of white beans – rinsed and drained
salt and black pepper to taste
parsley to taste
crushed red pepper
1/2 ‚Äì ¬æ tsp. dried oregano
1 bag fresh spinach ‚Äì chopped
¬º cup pecorino Romano cheese
1. Heat olive oil in pan. Add onion, anchovies, and crushed red pepper and saut√©. Anchovies will disintergrate into the oil. Cook down onions half way.
2. Add tomato paste and caramelize until a dark brick red color.
3. Saut√© garlic with a little more olive oil. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup white wine. Fully reduce.
4. Add chicken broth and water to deglaze pan. Add oregano and parsley. Bring soup to a simmer and add tortellini and cook half required time.
5. Add white beans and cook for the second half of required cooking time for tortellini. Add spinach and cook until wilted – few minutes.
6. Serve topped with pecorino Romano cheese and Italian bread.