Rochester Diocese announces appointment; 2020 council, board
The Diocese of Rochester has announced a new pastoral appointment as well as the members of its Personnel Board and Presbyteral Council.
Bishop Salvatore R. Matano made the following appointment, which will take effect Sept. 30, 2020:
The diocese also announced the members of the Personnel Board for 2020-21. They are:
• Bishop Matano
• Father Paul J. Tomasso
• Father Peter C. Clifford
• Father Anthony P. Mugavero
• Father Michael R. Brown
• Father Michael G. Fowler
• Sister Sheila Stevenson, RSM
The members of the 2020-21 Presbyteral Council — a priestly advisory group for Bishop Matano — also were announced.
A required structure under church law, a diocesan presbyteral council meets regularly during the year and assists the bishop in the pastoral care of a diocese.
Father Tomasso — diocesan vicar general, priest personnel director and a member of the council — said that according to its constitution, the Presbyteral Council serves to: search for ways and means of promoting the pastoral welfare of the people of God entrusted to the bishop in collaboration with the members of the presbyterate; promote greater communication, cooperation and collaboration between the bishop, priests, and diocesan offices and agencies of the diocese; and foster the bond of fraternity among priests, and promote a consciousness of their unity with the bishop.
Items from past Presbyteral Council agendas include Catholic schools; improving use of technology in parishes and faith formation; vocations; the Catholic Ministries Appeal; the relegation of particular churches; and finance and human resource policies as they pertain to parishes, Father Tomasso said.
Bishop Matano is president of the Presbyteral Council. Other council members for 2020-21 are:
• Father Patrick L. Connor, South Deanery (also a dean)
• Father Timothy E. Horan, Monroe East Deanery
• Father Stanley G. Kacprzak, West Deanery
• Father Peter B. Mottola, Monroe West Deanery
• Father John A. Firpo, Monroe Central Deanery
• Father Jeffrey R. Galens, non-incardinated secular priests
• Father Philip G. Judge, SJ, religious order
• Father Thomas P. Mull, Central Deanery
• Father Daniel Ruizb East Deanery
• Father R. Richard Brickler, senior priest nomination and appointment
Members who continue their service as consultors are:
• Father William G. Coffas (also a dean)
• Father Paul Gitau
• Father William B. Leone
• Father Frank E. Lioi (also a dean)
• Father Daniel E. White
Serving in ex officio roles are:
• Father Daniel J. Condon, diocesan chancellor
• Father George P. Heyman, chair, convocation committee
• Father Tomasso