Three Monroe County Catholic schools scheduled to close at the end of June are planning events this month to celebrate their histories, while two of the 11 county schools remaining open have scheduled parties to honor longtime principals. The following list reflects events of which the Catholic Courier was notified by May 23.
* Catherine McAuley School, 64 Maiden Lane, Greece: A farewell open house at the school from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, June 8, is open to former teachers, alumni and friends of the school. The event will feature artifacts and photos from the school’s history. Light refreshments will be served. The school was formerly called St. Charles Borromeo School.
* St. Andrew School, 901 Portland Ave., Rochester: A 9:30 a.m. Mass on Sunday, June 8, at St. Andrew Church, 923 Portland Ave., will be followed by an open house in the school to celebrate its history.
* St. John of Rochester School, 10 Wickford Way, Fairport: A closing Mass, which is open to the community, will take place at 10 a.m. Friday, June 20, at St. John of Rochester Church.
Students, families and alumni also are invited to take part in the Celebrate St. John of Rochester Night at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 7, in the school gym, and to the annual Mission Day and a potluck dinner on Wednesday, June 18. Mission Day games and student activities will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the school gymnasium and outside. The potluck dinner will be in the school gym from 5 to 7 p.m. Contact the school at 585-248-8836 for details.
Events to honor principals
* St. Rita School, 1008 Maple Dr., Webster: Sister Katherine Ann Rappl, who celebrated 50 years as a Sister of Mercy this year, also is celebrating 25 years as principal. A catered picnic-style lunch in her honor will be held from noon to 3 p.m. Sunday, June 22, in the soccer fields behind the school. The cost for the event is $10 per person or $30 per family. RSVP by June 12 to Debbie Kazimer at email@example.com or 585-265-4338.
* Seton Catholic School, 165 Rhinecliff Dr., Rochester: The school community, alumni and friends will celebrate the retirement of Sister of St. Joseph Kathleen Lurz, principal, with two events.
A family-oriented cookie reception is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. June 29 under a tent at Seton’s basketball courts. No reservations are needed for the event.
Reservations are required for a 6 p.m. dinner June 29 under the basketball-court tent. Tickets are $30 per person or $50 per couple. RSVP for this event by June 24 by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a check to Sonya Tierney, 282 Ambassador Drive, Rochester, NY 14618. For further details, call Laura Fischer at 585-544-6864.