A number of church and community events, all open to the public, are coming up shortly in the Southern Tier:
- The eighth-annual Mass for Peace will be on Saturday, Sept. 12, at 9 a.m. at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, 115 E. High St., Painted Post. The liturgy, sponsored by the Secular Franciscan Order, was begun in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.
- The Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk will take place Sept. 12 in Corning. Rose Carnegie, a member of Elmira’s St. Mary Southside Parish, is soliciting sponsors and also has registration forms for those wishing to participate. She may be contacted at 607-733-1018 or by mail at 944 Sebring Ave., Pine City, NY 14871.
- A program to celebrate St. Francis of Assisi is set for Tuesday, Sept. 29, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Marian Center of St. Mary Southside Church, 224 Franklin St., Elmira. Presenters will include Dr. Hilary Lambert Steward of the Cayuga Lake Watershed Network; Sister Phyllis Tierney, SSJ; and Father Jeff Tunnicliff, parochial vicar at St. Mary Southside. The event is sponsored by Catholic Charities, St. Mary’s Parish Social Ministry and Catholic Social Ministry Network of Chemung County.
- A regional Mass for Peace will take place on Monday, Sept. 21 — the International Day of Peace — at 7 p.m. at Ithaca’s Immaculate Conception Church, 113 N. Geneva St. Bishop Matthew H. Clark will serve as celebrant, with a reception to follow in Carges Hall. The event is a joint effort of all the Catholic faith communities in Tompkins County.
- Tickets are on sale for the fourth-annual Empty Bowls Luncheon highlighting hunger awareness. It will be held Tuesday, Oct. 20, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Elmira College Campus Center. All proceeds benefit Catholic Charities Samaritan Center, the area’s largest food pantry. Pre-event tickets are $25, and T-shirts are $12. For details, call Catholic Charities at 607-734-9784.