Sister Frances Sweeney (Sister Kieran), codirector of St. Martin’s Place in Rochester, died April 10, 2007, at her convent home after a long illness. She was 71.
She joined the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1954 from her home parish of St. Monica in Rochester. She attended Nazareth College in Pittsford, earning bachelor’s degrees in education and history.
After she taught elementary grades at St. John the Evangelist in Greece, Blessed Sacrament and St. Ambrose in Rochester, and St. Michael in Penn Yan, she was assistant to the diocesan Vicar for Urban Ministry (later the Office of Human Development). She then served on the pastoral team at Immaculate Conception Parish in Rochester for 17 years.
In 1994 Sister Sweeney became director of St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center and, in 1996, codirector of St. Martin’s Place, a soup kitchen and educational-resource center. She continued her mission there throughout her illness, securing funding and developing programs.
She is survived by her sister, Helen (Thomas) Casselman; several nieces; her friend, Sister Marie Michelle Peartree; many friends at Immaculate Conception Parish and St. Martin’s Place; and by her sisters in the congregation.
Her funeral liturgy was celebrated April 13, 2007, in the motherhouse chapel with burial in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Sisters of St. Joseph, 150 French Road, Rochester, NY 14618, or to St. Martin’s Place, 55 Ontario St., Rochester, NY 14605.