Sister of St. Joseph Matilda Lahr died December 7, 2012, at the age of 90.
Sister Lahr entered the Sisters of St. Joseph from her home parish of St Francis de Sales, Geneva, in 1940. She received a B.E. in 1947 and a B.A. in English and social studies in 1955, both from Nazareth College of Rochester.
She taught at Immaculate Conception and St. Lucy, Rochester; St. Mary, Elmira; St. Jerome, East Rochester; St. James, Waverly; St. Mary Our Mother, Horseheads; and Holy Trinity, Webster. In addition to teaching, she served as principal both at St. James, Waverly, and at St. Mary our Mother, Horseheads. From 1958-62, she served as congregational remedial reading supervisor.
In 1983, Sister Lahr became a core member of the Emmaus House of Prayer team, where she remained for eight years. In 1991 she began ministering as a foster parent for physically fragile infants in the congregation’s Daystar Program. Until her retirement in 2004, she continued to volunteer at Daystar, Hope Hall and Matthew’s Closet.
She is survived by her brothers, Francis (Terry) Lahr, Paul T. (Jean) Lahr, Joseph (Joan) Lahr, Vincent (Gloria) Lahr; her sisters, Helen (Tom) Hefferon, Dorothy (James) Ritter, Patricia (James) Hamill; nieces and nephews; many grandnieces and grandnephews; and by her sisters in the congregation.
Her funeral liturgy was celebrated in the motherhouse chapel in Pittsford on Dec. 12, 2012, with burial in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
Contributions in her memory may be made to the Sisters of St. Joseph Ministry Fund, 150 French Road, Rochester, NY 14618.