Sister Rosina Smith, a Sister of St. Joseph, died March 20, 2005, at the congregation’s motherhouse in Pittsford. Her death came one week before she was to turn 93.
Sister Smith was a native of Holy Trinity Parish in Webster. She entered the congregation in 1934, earned her teachers’ certificate in 1938 and, later, a bachelor’s degree from Nazareth College.
Her 40-year teaching career took her to Holy Rosary, St. Lucy and Our Lady of Good Counsel schools in Rochester and St. Mary’s in Dansville. She also served as principal of St. Mary’s and Our Lady of Good Counsel. From 1981 to her retirement in 1993, she was a classroom assistant, remedial reading teacher and librarian at Nazareth Hall.
Sister Smith is survived by her brothers, Arthur (Anne) and Leo (Nancy); her sisters, Beatrice, Dorothy, Evelyn (James) Bushwood, and Rita (Robert) Scheg; nieces and nephews; and her sisters in the community.
Her funeral liturgy was celebrated on March 23, 2005, in the motherhouse chapel with burial in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. Contributions in her memory may be made to the Sisters of St. Joseph, 150 French Road, Rochester, NY 14618.