Sister Mary Linus Witukiewicz, who taught in diocesan Catholic schools for more than 50 years, died Feb. 12, 2006, at the Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse. She was 100 years old.
Sister Witukiewicz entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1923 from St. Casimir Parish in Elmira. She earned her bachelor’s degree from Nazareth College in 1950.
Her longest tenure was at St. Stanislaus School in Rochester, where she served from 1925-58. She taught from 1958 to 1964 at St. Casimir School in Elmira and 1964-77 at St. Mary School in Dansville. After stepping down from daily classroom duty, she remained at St. Mary School as a substitute teacher, while also serving as a visitor to the sick and as sacristan for St. Mary Parish.
In 1989, Sister Witukiewicz retired to the SSJ motherhouse, where she spent many hours visiting sisters in the St. Joseph Convent Infirmary.
She is survived by her sister-in-law, Ann Vetukevic; niece, Marilyn; nephew, Stephen; and her sisters in the congregation.
Her funeral Mass was celebrated Feb. 15, 2006, in the motherhouse chapel. Interment was at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Sisters of St. Joseph, 150 French Road, Rochester, NY 14618.