The following School Sisters of Notre Dame are celebrating jubilees this year.
Sister Mary Oliver Hudon, a native of Rochester, was baptized at St. Monica Church in Rochester. She entered the congregation in 1950 from Ss. Peter and Paul Church in Rochester and professed her first vows in Baltimore in 1953. She professed her final vows in 1959.
Sister Hudon spent most of her early ministry teaching in schools in Maryland. She earned a bachelor’s degree in education in 1966 from what is today Notre Dame of Maryland University. She earned a master’s in library science in 1969 and a PhD in education administration in 1973, both from the University of Maryland.
She served as academic dean at Notre Dame of Maryland University (1978-86) and director of the Tri-Conference Retirement Office of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington (1986-92) before being elected to her congregation’s General Council in Rome (1993-98).
In 2001, after two years directing social programs at Associated Catholic Charities in Baltimore, Sister Hudon cofounded St. Ann Place in West Palm Beach, Fla., where she continues her ministry.
Sister Stephania Walczak, a native of Rochester, was taught by the School Sisters of Notre Dame at St. Michael School. She entered the congregation in 1946 in New Jersey and professed her first vows in 1953 in Baltimore. Following a teaching assignment in New Jersey, she returned home in 1962 to teach at Irondquoit’s St. Margaret Mary School. In 1964, she became one of Bishop Kearney High School’s pioneer staff members, teaching English and religion. From 1968-74, she was principal and superior at St. Margaret Mary, then returned to Bishop Kearney, where she currently works as a part-time campus minister.
Sister Claire LoMaglio (formerly Sister Marie Lawrence), a native of Rochester, was baptized at Holy Redeemer Church. She entered the congregation in Wilton, Conn., in 1961 and professed her first vows there in 1963. She professed her final vows in 1968.
After teaching five years in Poughkeepsie she returned to Rochester in 1968 to teach at St. Margaret Mary School (1968-76) in Irondequoit. She also served as a pastoral minister at St. Theodore Church in Gates (1976-78). After earning a degree in nursing from Bridgeport Hospital Nursing in Connecticut in 1987, Sister LoMaglio became a registered nurse, practicing at Lourdes Health Care Center in Wilton (1987-91) and the Visiting Nurses of Connecticut (1991-98). She worked for Nursefinders in Rochester for two years (1999-2001) before returning to Connecticut.
She has served as a hospice nurse for Norwalk (Conn.) Hospital (2002-03) and Norwalk Hospice (2003-10). Today she volunteers in community service at Villa Notre Dame, home to retired SSNDs in Wilton.