Track athletes at local Catholic high schools take home titles
Catholic high schools in the diocese made a big splash at season-ending indoor track and field competitions.
McQuaid Jesuit’s Abel Hagos, a standout in long-distance running events, captured Section 5 Class A titles Feb. 15 in both the 1,600- and 3,200-meter races. He also finished second in the 1,000, and teammate Ryan Martin placed third in that event. Also placing on top was the Knights’ 1,600 relay, while the 800 relay finished second. The Knights also finished second in team scoring.
Hagos went on to win the 1,600 and 3,200 at the Section 5 state qualifier Feb. 22, while the 1,600 relay placed first. At the state championships March 2, Hagos placed fifth in the 3,200.
Also turning in first-place sectional showings were Our Lady of Mercy’s Meredith McGee (shot put, weight throw), Shannon Trevor (3,000 run), and the 3,200 relay at the Section 5 Class B meet Feb. 16 as the Monarchs took second in team scoring. At the state qualifier Feb. 22, Trevor finished first in the 3,000.
Elmira Notre Dame’s Alyssa Walker won the 1,000 and 1,500 meters at the Section 4 Division II girls’ meet Feb. 16 and also captured the 1,000 at the state qualifier Feb. 23.
For Aquinas Institute, Josh Quatela won the boys’ pole vault at the Section 5 Class C boys’ meet Feb. 16. Among the AQ girls, the 800 relay emerged victorious in Class C.
For Bishop Kearney, Jahlique Johnson won both the 55 dash and high jump at the Section 5 Class D boys’ meet Feb. 15. Meanwhile, in the girls’ Class D competition that day, BK’s Lilly Wellman won a sectional title in the high jump.
• In girls’ basketball, Our Lady of Mercy finished with a 17-6 record, reaching the Section Class AA final four. The fifth-seeded Monarchs won 52-37 over No. 12 Webster Schroeder in first-round play Feb. 16 and 37-33 over No. 4 Webster Thomas in quarterfinal action Feb. 21 before falling to No. 1 Penfield, 61-53, in a Feb. 27 semifinal game.
• McQuaid hockey entered the Section 5 Class A playoffs as the No. 1 seed. The Knights won 5-1 over No. 9 Rush-Henrietta in quarterfinal play Feb. 14 but were upended by No. 5 Pittsford, 4-2, in a semifinal matchup Feb. 21. The Knights’ final record was 15-6-1.
• In boys’ Alpine skiing, McQuaid’s Sawyer Duserick placed second in the giant slalom at the Section 5 Class A meet Feb. 14 as the Knights also took second in team scoring. Duserick went on to place fifth in the giant slalom at the state meet Feb. 26.
• In boys’ swimming, McQuaid’s Max Murray placed second in the 200-yard individual medley at the Section 5 Class A meet Feb. 16.
• McQuaid wrestler Brendan Perrone reached the 145-pound final at the Section 5 Class A championships Feb. 2.