Takes good care of our subscribers and parishes; ensures timely, cost-effective distribution of the Catholic Courier and other publications of the Rochester Catholic Press Association, Inc.
- Maintains subscriber database and parish accounts receivable; ensures timely and accurate processing of payments; handles parish and individual-subscriber payments in accordance with established procedures; maintains accurate cash-receipts journals and other accounting work papers.
- Performs address-correction, sortation and presort routines, and prepares all relevant postal forms needed for cost-effective mailing of the Catholic Courier.
- Handles USPS issues related to insertion of pre-printed advertising flyers; coordinates postal-related activity among Advertising and Graphics departments as well as staff of diocesan Information Technology, as appropriate.
- Maintains positive customer relations with pastors, parishes and individual subscribers; handles inquiries, suggestions and complaints, referring them to the general manager or other department heads as appropriate.
- Monitors page count and advertising percentage of each Courier issue; ensures availability of funds in postal account to cover delivery costs; ensures timely and accurate delivery of the Catholic Courier to subscriber households; fields delivery complaints from customers and resolves these through proper USPS channels.
- Shares with the office manager duties of answering telephones (as primary) and picking up mail at the post office when this task is not performed by personnel of the Diocese of Rochester.
- Keeps abreast of changes in U.S. Postal Service regulations and rate schedules. Maintains positive relationships with postal personnel and keeps up-to-date on postal issues through postal workshops and bulletins, trade journals and other materials.
- Works with graphics manager to ensure that all of the Corporation’s publications adhere to USPS regulations, as appropriate.
- Manages accurate, timely production of the annual Diocesan Directory; promotes and handles subscriber sales of the Directory.
- Coordinates the annual Catholic Courier/Catholic Charities Christmas Appeal, initiating development of annual solicitation letter, maintaining donor database, processing annual solicitation mailing, recording donations and other tasks.
- Participates in seminars and other activities of the Catholic Media and New York Press associations to learn about industry developments and continuously improve circulation practices; develops contacts with CMA and NYPA peers to share information on successful initiatives.
- Maintains familiarity with editorial content of the Catholic Courier and El Mensajero Católico; represents the “voice of the reader” in monthly Editorial Department meetings.
- Serves as the Circulation Department’s liaison to other departments.
- Other duties as necessary.
- High school diploma and significant prior office experience.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail; prior bookkeeping/accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Computer literacy, with specific knowledge of Microsoft Access and Excel, as well as database-management systems; facility in learning new applications.
- Ability to independently generate and effectively use circulation and accounting data.
- Responsibility and sound judgment; commitment to the mission and overall objectives of the Rochester Catholic Press Association; grasp of overall newspaper operations, including interrelationships among functional departments; sensitivity to the concerns of pastors, readers and parish staffs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork orientation.
- Marketing and/or promotional aptitude; prior marketing experience a plus.
- Responsible and respectful approach to Catholic culture and sensibilities.
Classification: Full time non-exempt, 35 hours/week
Reports to: Office Manager
Application: Please send résumé, cover letter and contact information for three professional references to: Info@CatholicCourier.com