Please note: This position does not involve graphic design, news/feature writing, photography, videography, illustration or sales.
Plan, implement and continually refine marketing strategies for CatholicCourier.com and ElMensajeroRochester.com using SEO/SEM tools; promotion of content produced by the newspapers’ Editorial Department; closely monitoring website analytics; data analysis and reporting; email marketing; and ad-server management.
- Take ownership of digital promotion, overall marketing, and SEO/SEM functions.
- Develop campaigns to acquire and engage new website users using various techniques and approaches; update methods regularly for seasonal and other changes.
- Train and coach Editorial Department staff on best practices for SEO titles and copy.
- Analyze and report website analytics and other helpful insights to staff and the Editorial Committee of the papers’ Board of Directors; monitor and report success of digital marketing initiatives, providing campaign analysis and opportunities to optimize results.
- Develop strategies to maximize e-newsletter engagement and response; assist editorial staff in boosting e-newsletter engagement through A/B testing of subject lines, content selection and titles, graphics and layout.
- Track trending topics, identify and promote content that is spiking; make editorial staff aware of types of content going viral so they can evaluate benefits of further or related coverage; serve as advocate and coach for maximizing content engagement.
- Actively build inbound links to content from authoritative sites; encourage editorial staff members to garner links from all entities featured in their content.
- Develop promotional campaigns across social-media channels – Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. – to grow engagement with the target audience and influencers; build and nurture a community of social-media influencers to expand reach.
- Research archival content that may relate to current/recent coverage and create cross links as appropriate to increase time on site.
- Develop and manage digital advertising campaigns across search engines, social media and various web channels to drive readership and e-newsletter subscriptions.
- Continuously adapt SEO, SEM and other digital marketing tactics to changing Google algorithms.
- Stay current on the latest digital/search trends and opportunities, incorporating them into ongoing campaign management.
- Foster awareness among key stakeholders of the broad range of content on the Catholic Courier and El Mensajero websites and the effectiveness of the sites’ reach; encourage them to promote websites and e-newsletters to their constituents.
- Encourage/facilitate implementation of Catholic Courier web links on websites, e-newsletters and print media of affiliated organizations.
- Grow e-newsletter distribution lists and/or import data from key stakeholder groups to those of the Catholic Courier and El Mensajero.
- Manage AdSense and YouTube Partner Program accounts, ensuring that only appropriate and non-competing ads appear alongside Catholic Courier and El Mensajero content.
- Manage ad-server inventory; set up/manage digital campaigns for locally sold advertising clients.
- College degree or equivalent experience in digital marketing and/or digital communications.
- Well-versed in digital marketing, channels, and digital data analysis.
- Strong project-management and problem-solving skills; ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Expertise in direct marketing, social media, display advertising, ad-serving, search engine marketing, email marketing and digital-advertising platforms (Google Ads, Facebook Business Manager, etc.).
- High-level proficiency in WordPress, Google Analytics, Google AdSense, Google AdManager and SEM tools as well as Microsoft Office suite and basic image editing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and leadership skills, rapport and relationship building.
- Commitment to advancing the mission and objectives of the newspapers’ parent company, the Rochester Catholic Press Association; familiarity with current issues and common terminology related to the church; responsible and respectful approach to Catholic teachings, culture and sensibilities; ease in communicating with church leaders and parishioners at various levels.
Job Type: Full-time, 35 hours/week.
Pay: Commensurate with experience.
COVID-19 considerations: In accord with NYS HERO Act plan, workstations are socially distanced and common areas are regularly sanitized. We also are prepared for a temporary shift to fully remote work if recommended or ordered by state and local officials.
How to apply:
Send resume and cover letter to: Info@catholiccourier.com