The Catholic Courier and El Mensajero Católico are looking for a part-time reporter and writer. Successful candidates should be as comfortable researching backgrounders on Catholic culture as they are covering school activities and whipping out briefs. The journalist we have in mind is a talented writer who can efficiently produce accurate, thorough, and highly engaging stories. The ideal candidate also wields a cellphone camera with confidence for social media and is fluent in Spanish.
Reporting to the Assistant Editor, you will:
- Work approximately 17.5 hours per week, including evenings and weekends. Hours may vary slightly according to the number and complexity of assignments.
- Report news and feature articles as assigned through web- and document-based research and personal interviews to produce interesting and effective articles.
- Prepare obituaries and news briefs; produce content for social media; proofread print-edition pages; write SEO-friendly digital headlines and metadescriptions.
- Keep current on topics of importance to the Catholic community by reading Catholic and secular publications; develop a network of contacts.
- Maintain an ongoing list of potential stories and actively suggest strong story ideas.
- Participate in ongoing training to continuously improve skills.
- Two to three years’ reporting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, in journalism is ideal.
- Awareness of Catholic teaching and current issues in the church.
- Strong news sense with sound judgment, interview and analysis skills; sensitive to reader interests and concerns.
- Excellent writing, including spelling, grammar and AP style; accuracy and attention to detail; awareness of communications-law basics, especially related to libel and copyright.
- Organized and productive, with strong interpersonal skills; ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines; teamwork orientation.
- Ability to function easily in the Courier’s writing and editing software; post content to social media platforms; and efficiently perform web- and document-based research.
- Basic cellphone photography and videography for social media.
- Written and spoken fluency in Spanish.
Submit a résumé and cover letter explaining your qualifications and copies or links to five published writing samples to Info@CatholicCourier.com. No phone calls, please.
The Catholic Courier is the largest paid-circulation print publication in the Greater Rochester area. Circulation reaches more than 92,000 households and 171,000 readers in 12 western New York counties — plus 40,000+ monthly visitors to CatholicCourier.com. Founded in 1889, the Courier provides award-winning journalistic coverage of the people, ministries, issues, and life of the Diocese of Rochester. ElMensajeroRochester.com covers the local Hispanic community. At a time when news outlets are increasingly centralized, the Catholic Courier and El Mensajero provide the kind of local news coverage that is hard to find elsewhere, but is vital for strengthening communities.